How do you remember ideas when they occur unexpectedly?
As we all know, ideas can pop into your mind at any time of the day or night.
It can be so hard when you are busy and have so much to do to remember an idea, put it to one side and hope that you will remember it at a later time.
I must admit that I have often said “I’ll make a note of that later” only for making the note and the idea to go completely out of my head!
Here are some tools that can help with recording your ideas:
- Notebook and pen: a great way to jot down ideas and notes without the worry of signal or power issues
- Voicemail: a quick and easy method of leaving yourself a voicemail message if you don’t have pen and paper to hand
- Email: along the same lines as the voicemail where you send yourself an email to pick up at a later time
- Flip Chart: a handy tool for brainstorming both on your own and with others. A practical way for people to visually bounce ideas off each other.
- Apps: There are many apps for iPhones, iPads and android including Evernote and OneNote.
- Pinterest: Another visual way of creating a board of your ideas and inspiration.
- Digital Recorder: Dictaphones were very much the norm when I first started working in London. It is still a popular way of recording notes and many Virtual Assistants offer transcription as a service.
I use a notebook and pen and for many years used to carry one in my bag often making notes on the train to and from work. I found it really useful and it enabled me to switch off in the evenings and weekends.
“Ideas can be life changing. Sometimes all you need to open the door is just one more good idea” Jim Rohn
There are so many ways of recording your ideas so you can review them at a later date. You just need to find out what works best for you.
How do you record your notes and ideas? What works well for you?
Benefits of jotting down your ideas
- All your ideas and notes can be found in one place
- Puts mind to rest when you have made a note enabling you to concentrate on the task to hand
- Helps you to focus on planning your business strategy and the steps to achieve goals
- Reviewing your notes can be motivational and help give you clarity and direction
What benefits do you find by writing down your ideas?
“Ideas come from everything” – Alfred Hitchcock